Sunday, March 31, 2013

Global Sounds


I am sure that sounds have a direct trigger of memories and associations that works faster than our logical brains can function. There must be a lot of research surrounding this already done. Music definitely triggers moods in us associated with memories of the sounds of the playing song. But right now i realized this phenomena in reference to cellphone ringtones. There is a particular samsung ringtone that is on my wife's phone and it has a strong association in my mind with my wife and her phone. So sitting here far away from her in a coffee shop in Philadelphia it felt weird to hear the same samsung ringtone on someone else's phone nearby. My mind got super confused for a few seconds. My mind will surely work at modifying the algorithm associated with the sound and will be cautious in its association the next time i hear the sounds. But it was fascinating, realizing that sounds like the ringtones that are preloaded on the Nokia and Samsung phone have so many different associations for so many different people.

No comments:

Post a Comment